So I moved out to our project in Villa Soleada this past week. It has been great! Much more tranquilo than in the center of town ("Centro") and surrounded by kids and families that I love being with.
Work has been slow. Students will start responding to emails hopefully once school really gets going, and the back-to-school fever dies down.
Anyway, things are going well here! I have been having blast! I have geckos, ants, spiders, and a mouse somewhere in my house. I take bucket showers, we only have water 3 hours of the day, kids or adults come knocking at our doors and windows at around 7 every morning, and we have dogs and roosters going at random hours throughout the night.
It is wonderful.
Today we drove our neighborhood soccer team to the mountains to play Mico Quemado. This is a mountain community that was even further up in the mountains than where these families used to live when they were at Siete de Abril. Getting up and down the mountain was an adventure in itself. I got to see the most beautiful view of the valley including the entire city of El Progreso. Pretty amazing.
Then I walked up to the pulperia (tiny grocery stores in peoples homes), and when I say up I mean UP. At least 45 degree incline in the blistering heat, for about 20 minutes. I learned from my friend that this was the route the kids used to take every day to school. It would take them an hour to walk to school, and by the time they got there they were a sweaty mess, and usually pretty dirty. No wonder so many kids don't finish schools. They aren't great to begin with, the teachers go on strike constantly, and its a battle just to get there.
Can't wait to see what comes next.
No comments:
Post a Comment